This one is great for the summer.
I love vegan salads because you can take them anywhere and they require minimal refrigeration. When you don’t have dairy or meat it keeps better under hot weather. You can use cooked lentils or make your own. Don’t know how to? I have a quick guide on how to make them here. I used brown lentils, however, you can use black beluga lentils or green lentils.
What you’ll need: 🔪
- 1 Cup of cooked lentils
- Peppers—I used conserved piquillo peppers because they’re super acidic! 2 or 3 the size of an iPhone 6 works.
- 1 medium green pepper (iPhone 6 Plus size 😂)
- Half a red onion (about 1/2 cup, chopped)
- Herbs! Cilantro, basil, mint, and parsley. A handful of each, so 1/2 chopped herbs each.
For the dressing: 👗
These are of course base measures, I suggest you try and adjust to your personal taste. Like it spicy? Add more cayenne pepper! Like slightly salty? Add more salt! Love acid? Make that lemon rain! Explore and find your taste.
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- The juice of half a medium lemon
- 4 Tablespoons of Olive oil
- Sal, pepper, and cayenne paper to taste.
So, what is it that makes this salad good? The herbs: cilantro, basil, mint, and parsley combine deliciously together. They’re probably my favorite mix of herbs.
I’ve made this salad once before. It was for an all-day boat trip and let me tell you it was a hit. The great thing about this salad is that as it does not contain any kind of animal product—it doesn’t spoil as fast. You can use it as a base and add cheese, charcuterie, or fish to “bulk it up” but to be honest, I prefer the lighter version. However, in the end, it’s all up to you. 😊