This is what happens when you have a bunch of citrus fruit and you’re not sure what to do with them. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetite.
What you’ll need: 🥮
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 orange, peeled, thinly sliced, no seeds.
- 1 blood orange, peeled, thinly sliced, no seeds
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1½ cups yogurt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon finely grated blood orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh blood orange juice
Preheat oven to 350°/176°. Coat a 10″ cake pan with 1 tablespoon of butter. Scatter the white sugar evenly in pan. Place orange slices on top.
Whisk flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, egg yolk, yogurt, butter, and blood orange zest and juice; mix until no dry spots remain (a few lumps are okay; do not overmix).
Pour batter over oranges in pan and bake until top is golden brown and cake pulls away from sides of pan, 35–40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 5 minutes before inverting and turning out onto rack or a large plate.