This recipe for vegan bolognese I started messing around with over a year ago. I’m trying to eat more plant-based foods, because, you know, the planet, etc. It’s a struggle but I try! So here’s a vegan bolognese.
What you’ll need: 🍝
- 3 cups grated cauliflower (or cauliflower rice)
- 1 cup of grated carrot
- 1 cup of minced mushrooms
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 4 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 cup of red wine (or a glass 😉)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 500 gr of crushed tomato sauce (you can use whole tomatoes and crush them yourself)
- parsley for garnishing
- 2 teaspoons of salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot at medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the onions and garlic. Sautee that for about 5 minutes. Then add the carrots, celery and tomato paste. Sautee for 5 more minutes. This is your sofrito, a sauce is only as good as a sofrito so treat it with love!
Add the mushrooms and bay leaf, give it a stir, add the salt and pepper. Stir. After that, add the wine and stir it a little more. Let that reduce for about 8 minutes. Get the cauliflower in there followed by the tomato sauce, stir well and lower the heat. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
Taste to check balance, usually, these tomato-based sauces can be very acidic. The carrot adds plenty of sweetness but sometimes not enough, if it tastes too acidic to you, add a teaspoon of sugar. Try it again, when it tastes delicious it means its done.
Add this sauce to your favorite pasta! 🍝